Elevate updates don’t bring huge changes anymore, but smaller ones, that, when added up, make a big difference altogether. Therefore once again the hint here that only with current map styles and maps all improvements get visible. Recently those were important changes in Elevate, and some smaller ones as well. Look at the legend for further information.
- a new overlay for extended road surface information
- new via ferrata rendering
- solid/dashed borders for cycleways
- changed visibility information for paths without sac_scale
- prominent peaks are now shown earlier and, if the app supports it, are prioritized
- hiking waycolor is displayed along waymarks
- the overlay contents have been rearranged a bit
- access limits are much more accurate to the mode of transportation the map style is made for
Dear members of the OpenAndroMaps community,
another year is drawing to a close, already the sixth year for OAM.
Time to say “thanks” to all the people contibuting new, better Data for OAM like
@Sonny constantly integrates new LIDAR (LaserScan) elevation data, wherever available for free, into the existing viewfinder/nasa dataset – resulting in the most reliable contourlines available on free maps.
@MaxBe who found a way to sort mountain peaks by “importance” so we could render the important ones in lower zoom-levels – an improvement that is included in the december map update.
I also like to thank all users who made the effort to register in our forum and give hints, suggestions and error reports. This is very important for us as we can be routine-blinded or just lack the time to test every map update for errors. Although our standard is and can only be absolutely professional, we do all this in our rare spare time and with only a tiny budget.
Our goal is to sustain and enhance this project and ask you kindly to further support us.
The OAM team wishes you all a merry christmas!
Yes, I know..
Kommunikation from my side to the OpenAndroMaps community could – and should – be better (by far)
A lot of improvements happened during 2017 – OAM is’nt on idle at all, we are working hard to improve, add new Features, include external Data, aso..
Here a small overview about improvements so far in 2017:
- Abbreviations for Street / Place names in many languages for more reliable rendering (eg Street / Strasse > St.)
- Better rendering of cycletracks and lanes along roads
- Put_in / regress / portage_ways for paddlers included in map_data
- @Sonny constantly integrates new LIDAR (LaserScan) elevation data, wherever available for free, into the existing viewfinder/nasa dataset – resulting in the most reliable contourlines available on free maps.
- @Tobias constantly improves the Elevate / Elements rendertheme.
- Constant evolution of the multilanguage maps > now (eg) PidginChines works reliable
- Better redering of access rights and road surfaces
- Difficult scale (sac_scale) for mountain paths without restrictions
- Names for Islands / Archipelagos now render much better and at lower zoom levels – appearence is driven by calculated size of area covered
- @Michael works for a better set of GeneralMaps
- Server moved to new, more reliable provider with up to date infrastructure
- Protokoll moved to HTTPS
- New version of WordPress theme with much better apperance and faster rendering on mobile devices
However the best of all is about to come.
December update will bring a real great improvement for hikers and alpinists.
Team of OAM
The OpenAndroMaps website will switch to secure transfer protocoll according HTTPS / SSL this week.
This step is required by the Google guidlines to provide the HTTPS / SSL for all sites that require user inputs such as comments, user accounts, or forums.
This is an important step ahead in data security, which has been supported on the side of OpenAndroMaps since long by flanking, server-side actions like Intruderdedection, protection against BruteForce attacks and integration into various blacklists.
UPDATE 2017-08-22 18:00h MEZ: Done, the Website is running on fine on SSL, no mixed contend any more – we have a green lock-symbol on all pages. I have tested all functions and have’nt found any bug. However, if you experience problems please post here as comment or in the forum.
Best regards, Christian