The already announced new map generation is now ready to be released for download.
With this new generation, fundamental design weaknesses such as common hike/cycle route names or fragmentation of MTB routes in some cases have been resolved.
The new features meant a deep impact on the production structure of the maps.
New hardware on which the new V5 Mapsforge Writer from EMUX runs smoothly and a complete rewrite of most software was necessary.
Here are the new features in a nutshell:
- The MTB routes are now rendered independently and according to categories (like the cycle routes) – this means that interregional MTB routes such as in the UK or the Granittrail in the Waldviertel are prominently highlighted.
- Overlaps between bike and MTB routes are now neatly resolved.
- Short names of MTB/bike/hike routes are now separated
- The links between route nodes (NL) are now rendered later on
- Dozens of OSMC hiking symbols are added….
What needs to be done on your side: An update to the render theme – when installed directly on Android in Locus, the theme is installed/updated automatically.
Thank you for your feedback during the beta test, where a profound bug was discovered and fixed.
Have a peaceful Christmas,
We wish you good health and beautiful walks in the winter-snow
The team of OpenAndroMaps
Tobias, Michael, Christian